Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Citizen Kane

Citizen Kane

1)      Relate what was discussed in class or the text to the screening.

In class, we discussed the plot, director, actors, etc. Citizen Kane was named the best American film of all time by the American Film Institute, in 1998. Citizen Kane also received nine Oscar nominations. When the film came out, it was a failure as it was almost not released. The film was based on William Randolph Hearst. Both Hearst and Kane believed that it would be “fun” to run a newspaper. Looking at the film, we can see how Kane did have fun running the paper. He liked to have control. When Kane passed away at the beginning of the film, Thompson decides to interview many people who knew Kane to figure out why and what his last word “Rosebud” meant.

2)      Find a related article and summarize content.


In this article, it discusses about the film being the world’s famous and high-rated film. It also mentions the budget and about the possibility of the film not being released, and there was also a controversy that was brought from the film because of it being related to the real life of William Hearst. In the article, they place a chart going over the similarities and some differences between Kane and Hearst. Also, in the article – the writer discusses the different aspects that have brought the film together: examples, subjective live camera, lighting, elaborate camera movements, talk-over dialogue, etc.

3)      Apply the article to the film screened in class.

With this article really focusing a part of it on the similarities between William Hearst and Charles Foster Kane, it makes you see the film kind of differently. It makes it more interesting since it was based on a real person, to think that someone went through what Kane went through. Some fans enjoy watching a film that is based on a true story so this can lead more viewers to watch. In the article, when mentioning the different aspects that brought the film together, deep focus was one of the aspects mentioned as well which played a role in the film as there were interesting parts where deep focus was a major aspect. One of the main ones was when Thatcher came and we see young Kane in the deep focus part having fun, being a kid – we can tell that with the deep focus, he may not stay that young happy kid anymore – and a few minutes he wasn’t as Thatcher decides to take Kane away from his parents. This article goes great with the film and helps the reader understand more behind the film than they could have thought while watching.

4)      Write a critical analysis of the film.

I have not heard of Citizen Kane before until this class so I didn’t know what to expect and I was surprised that I found it interesting. I enjoyed the different aspects especially the deep focus. It was my first time, I believe, where I focused on those moments and realized that without the deep focus scenes, the film could have been different. Also the different camera angles (low, high, even) gave each scene a different look. I enjoyed the slow-motion of when the snow globe fell from Kane’s hand because it showed that it was a very important part of the film which should be remembered throughout the rest of the film. I, overall, enjoyed the film and believe that it is still a great movie to watch during our time period. 

CHECKLIST FOR PLAGIARISM
1) ( x ) I have not handed in this assignment for any other class.
2) ( x ) If I reused any information from other papers I have written for other classes, I clearly explain that in the paper.
3) ( x ) If I used any passages word for word, I put quotations around those words, or used indentation and citation within the text.
4) ( x ) I have not padded the bibliography. I have used all sources cited in the bibliography in the text of the paper.
5) ( x ) I have cited in the bibliography only the pages I personally read.
6) ( x ) I have used direct quotations only in cases where it could not be stated in another way. I cited the source within the paper and in the bibliography.
7) ( x ) I did not so over-use direct quotations that the paper lacks interpretation or originality.
8) ( x ) I checked yes on steps 1-7 and therefore have been fully transparent about the research and ideas used in my paper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment