Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Gone with the Wind

Gone with the Wind


1   1) Relate what was discussed in class or the text to the screening.
        
        Gone with the Wind was first a novel written by Margaret Mitchell and it took the author 10 years to   write and it was her only novel that was published during her life. When she sold the rights for the     film to be made, she made no part in the making of the film. Clark Gable and Vivian Leigh were the   two main stars while the supporting cast was Hattie McDaniel, Butterfly McQueen, Olivia De             Havilland, and Leslie Howard. Gone with the Wind won eight Academy Awards. The film was also   ranked fourth in American Film Institute’s Top 100 Best American films of all time.

  Prior to watching the film, we also learned about the black history in films. In the history, we learn     that most African-Americans that were actors played in slavery or “the help” which we can see in       the Gone with the Wind as the African Americans in the film were seen as “the help” when as the       actress Hattie McDaniel was seen as the housekeeper and helped Vivian Leigh’s (Scarlett) character   whenever she needed some type of help.

2) Find a related article and summarize content.


     In this article, the writer went into detail on why we love and hate Gone with the Wind. The article      was written to celebrate the 75th anniversary of the premiere of the film. Some of the examples            that Todd Leopold, CNN, shared were: for the hate side – he writes that it is racist movie as the          African-American characters fell right in with the “stereotypes of slaves and maids;” for the love        side – it is still a powerful movie as the film can tell a story and tell that story well.

3) Apply the article to the film screened in class.

     When reading this article, I can picture everything that the writer put down as the love/hate things      of this film. As he mentioned the racist part of this film, we can see where he is coming from as          Hattie McDaniel, like I said in the third question, was seen as the housekeeper and she helped              Scarlett whenever she needed some type of help. There were other African-American characters          that followed in the same stereotypes of that time period. I agree that the film is still a powerful          movie. This was the first time that I have seen this film and when I watched it, I can see it being          powerful as we see what that time period was like with the stereotypes, what happened to the              towns during the town, what happened to the people, etc. I believe this article goes directly to the        film and is well-written by the writer.

4) Write a critical analysis of the film.

     This is my first time watching Gone with the Wind; however, it was not my first time hearing              about it. I always saw that the film was almost three hours long and I was never interested in                something that long but as we watched it in class, I am glad that we have watched it. It gave me a        chance to enjoy it. I have to say the second half of the film was better than the first half. When we      watched the film, I noticed that the African-Americans were indeed the stereotypical African-              Americans, just like as was said they would be in class. At the time period of when the film came        out, I believe this film was the perfect film to portray the war as it gave people, today, a chance to      see it, even though it’s a fiction film. People tend to lean towards a fiction film, rather than a                documentary so I believe if someone wanted to learn about this war but isn’t interested in                    documentaries, then they should watch Gone with the Wind. I also enjoyed Clark Gable’s                    character. I’m not sure which character of his I like best as it would be between this character and      his character in It Just Happened One Night. Overall, I believe this is a great film and I am happy        that we watched it in this class.  


CHECKLIST FOR PLAGIARISM
1) ( x ) I have not handed in this assignment for any other class.
2) ( x ) If I reused any information from other papers I have written for other classes, I clearly explain that in the paper.
3) ( x ) If I used any passages word for word, I put quotations around those words, or used indentation and citation within the text.
4) ( x ) I have not padded the bibliography. I have used all sources cited in the bibliography in the text of the paper.
5) ( x ) I have cited in the bibliography only the pages I personally read.
6) ( x ) I have used direct quotations only in cases where it could not be stated in another way. I cited the source within the paper and in the bibliography.
7) ( x ) I did not so over-use direct quotations that the paper lacks interpretation or originality.

8) ( x ) I checked yes on steps 1-7 and therefore have been fully transparent about the research and ideas used in my paper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment