Wednesday, April 29, 2015

The Graduate

The Graduate 


1)      Relate what was discussed in class or the text to the screening.

Before we watched the film, The Graduate, we discussed the director, actors, plot, success of the film, etc. Mike Nichols, director became one of the biggest directors after The Graduate came out and he has won the Academy Award for Best Director. The film has grossed $40 million at the Box Office. The Graduate was nominated for many Academy Awards and some were best picture, actor, actress, screenplay, etc. We learned that this film was one of the first true youth rebellion movies. It also helps us think about what to do after you have graduated from college. The film can fall under Modern Expressionist.

2)      Find a related article and summarize content.


In this article, it discusses how the film is “one of the key, ground-breaking films of the late 1960s, and helped to set in motion a new era of film-making.” It also discusses how it was influential, the themes of the film, the different generations that it has attracted, social classes, etc. The article also analyzes each scene of the film. If someone has watched the film but didn’t understand completely about it, this would be the article for that person.

3)      Apply the article to the film screened in class.

Part of the article discusses the growing dissatisfaction with the status quo and middle-class values. We can see that through the film as the Director used the character Benjamin to portray how unalive and aimless the young generation who is unaffected can be when they approach middle-age. The music that was played throughout the movie (music by Simon and Garfunkle) helped the film enhance its moods and themes.

4)      Write a critical analysis of the film.

I have heard of The Graduate prior to this class but I have never watched it before. I wasn’t sure what to expect but I actually enjoyed it. It had its funny moments, its seriousness moments, etc. I can see how it was one of the films that was ground-breaking. It went through social norms, sexual, etc. It also showed how innocent youth can be exploited, betrayed, etc. by an older generation. I believe this film was well done with the direction, actors, music and I think I would watch it again if I have a chance.

CHECKLIST FOR PLAGIARISM
1) ( x ) I have not handed in this assignment for any other class.
2) ( x ) If I reused any information from other papers I have written for other classes, I clearly explain that in the paper.
3) ( x ) If I used any passages word for word, I put quotations around those words, or used indentation and citation within the text.
4) ( x ) I have not padded the bibliography. I have used all sources cited in the bibliography in the text of the paper.
5) ( x ) I have cited in the bibliography only the pages I personally read.
6) ( x ) I have used direct quotations only in cases where it could not be stated in another way. I cited the source within the paper and in the bibliography.
7) ( x ) I did not so over-use direct quotations that the paper lacks interpretation or originality.
8) ( x ) I checked yes on steps 1-7 and therefore have been fully transparent about the research and ideas used in my paper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment